Brunch at Home: Pancakes + Frittata
This recipe was made using the Vitamix E310 Explorian. Vitamix generously gifted me this blender, but all of the opinions expressed in this post are my own.
The only thing better than a 2 p.m. NYC brunch is a 2 p.m. NYC brunch at home in your pajamas.
There are few things worse than slow walkers taking up the whole side walk. The extremely long wait time for weekend brunch is one of those few things. A lot of places don't take reservations and even if you have one, you probably won't be seated at that time. (The only plus side to making a reservation and not being seating on time is that you usually get a mimosa on the house!)
My requirements when it comes to brunch are:
1. Options — sometimes I want savory, sometimes I want sweet, and sometimes I want both.
2. No mess — I really don't want to clean up a kitchen on a Saturday or Sunday morning.
When I decided to start making brunch at home, I knew whatever I made had to meet both those requirements. My Vitamix makes both of those things possible — I don't dirty any bowls for either of these recipes and I can make both savory + sweet in no time at all! The cook times for these recipes also work really well together. I suggest heating the oven while you prep the frittata and making the pancakes while the frittata cooks. By the time your frittata is out of the oven, your pancakes will be done and you are ready to eat your brunch at home!
When you are done enjoying your brunch, all you are left with to clean is a few measuring cups, 2 pans, your Vitamix, and some dishes. Check out this super simple way to clean your Vitamix here!
Blender Oat Pancakes
· 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
· 1 cup spelt flour
· 1 ¼ cup almond milk
· 1 tbsp baking powder
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
· 2 eggs
· 2 tsp coconut sugar
· 1 tbsp avocado oil (or any vegetable oil)
· 2 tsp vanilla extract
· ½ tsp salt
· dash of cinnamon
1. In a high-speed blender, blend rolled oats until you get a flour-like consistency.
2. Add all other ingredients and blend until smooth, scraping the sides to make sure everything is incorporated. (I like to use this Blade Scraper to make sure I didn't miss any clumps of flour.)
3. In a pan on medium heat, spray with coconut oil and scoop one tbsp of batter to form little pancakes.
4. Once bubbles start to form and the edges are brown, flip pancakes and cook for another minute or so.
5. Remove from heat and enjoy!
Spinach + Mushroom Frittata
· 6 large eggs
· ¼ cup milk
· 1 tbsp sour cream
· ¼ cup cheddar cheese
· 1 cup spinach
· ½ cup chopped mushrooms
· salt and pepper
· 1 tbsp avocado oil
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
2. Sauté mushrooms in 1 tbsp avocado oil on medium heat. Once the mushrooms are cooked, stir in the spinach and turn off heat. The spinach will continue to cook in the hot pan.
3. In your Vitamix, add all remaining ingredients except the cheese, and blend on high until fluffy.
4. Pour your egg mixture over the vegetables in the skillet and stir in the cheese.
5. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.